It’s Episode 138 of In the Mood for Podcast, a British-based film podcast hosted by Calum Reed of Ultimate Addict and Pete Sheppard of In the Mood for Blog.
In our 138th effort, we managed to keep this episode to a reserved sixty four minutes, allowing for discussion of Gregg Araki’s latest take on adolescence, “White Bird in a Blizzard,” Jeremy Renner as a crusading journalist in “Kill the Messenger,” while Cal revealed whether “Chappie” is as bad as the trailer (and most of the reactions to the film) suggests. It’s fair to say that this week’s slate of films leave a lot to be desired, but we try and find the positives as best we can. Elsewhere, the UK’s Eurovision entry fails to get us excited, we discuss the litany of queer roles for the actors of 2005, Neill Blonkamp’s recent fascination with female villains leads to an unexpectedly crude remark about Jodie Foster, and Hugh Jackman’s radical hairstyle rocks the Gauge.
- White Bird in a Blizzard 12:07 – 24:50
- Chappie 24:51 – 35:18
- Kill the Messenger 35:19 – 46:42
Shag, Marry or Kill?
The Garrett Gauge
Episode 66: Fast and Loose
(Right click… save as)
It’s Episode 66 of In the Mood for Podcast, a British-based film podcast hosted by Calum Reed of Ultimate Addict and Pete Sheppard of In the Mood for Blog.
The Week’s News:
- Foreign Language Oscar submissions from Saudia Arabia, The Netherlands, and Australia
- Woody Allen to receive the Cecil B. DeMille award at this year’s Golden Globes
- “12 Years a Slave” wins the People’s Choice award at the Toronto Film Festival
- “The Butler” passes $100m in domestic box-office
- The first teaser trailer is released for “Grace of Monaco”
[1:40 – 15:10]
Listener Request: Discussing Venice’s 70th anniversary short films project [Irini] [15:15 – 20:05]
- Ain’t Them Bodies Saints
- White House Down
- The Artist and the Model
[26:35 – 54:35]
Closing Segment: Our take on Ron Howard’s “Rush,” dissecting its Oscar chances, and discussing our favourite cinematic playboys [54:45 – 1:12:35]
The Watson Factor
The Poupaud Range
Outro Music: Kelis, “Caught Out There”